Are you a Black, Indigenous or racialized rising leader in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area looking to explore new leadership opportunities? Introducing, CivicMatch.
In response to a global conversation on systemic racism, leaders and organizations have committed to working harder to take real and meaningful action. For CivicAction, this has meant leveraging our convening strength to elevate the voices of racialized rising leaders and connect to established leaders from across our region.
CivicMatch is intended to do just that, while also responding to a growing fact base of data showing the need for and importance of improved connection.
CivicMatch brings together C-suite-level established leaders with Indigenous, Black and racialized rising leaders in small group conversations with a focus on accelerating leadership opportunities.
Held quarterly throughout 2021 and with new established leaders being added throughout the year, the conversations create unique reciprocal learning opportunities while opening the door to new connections and spaces for racialized rising leaders.
How to Register
What participants are saying:
- 92% of CivicMatch participants have found their conversations to be very insightful and constructive
- 100% of CivicMatch participants would recommend the program to their peers!
- “A great opportunity to hear honest advice from a leader I admired…I’m left feeling inspired and energized about my career and future.”
- “An awesome session with a senior leader willing to open up their network and coach us… I'm certain we'll all connect and collaborate after.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate in CivicMatch?
- To ensure this program directly supports the communities it was designed for, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as a Black, Indigenous or racialized rising leader
- Be a member of the Emerging Leaders Network (signing up is quick and free)
- Live and/or work in the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area
- Be looking to explore new connections & leadership opportunities
Do connections I make through CivicMatch continue past the initial discussion?
- While we hope that the professional relationships created through CivicMatch continue to grow past the initial discussion, ongoing connection depends on the alignment, comfort, and capacity of both the established and rising leader. As CivicAction does not continue to play a convenor role past the initial discussion, it is up to the participants to initiate ongoing connections. While some connections may lead to an ongoing mentorship or sponsorship relationship, CivicMatch itself is not a sponsorship or job search program. The commitment for both CivicMatch hosts and attendees is one small-group discussion.
How are CivicMatch hosts identified and selected?
- CivicMatch Hosts are established leaders from across CivicAction’s stakeholder network who represent a wide range of sectors, backgrounds and interests but share a commitment to building inclusive cities and contributing to addressing issues of racism. Recognizing that Canada’s senior leadership landscape continues to lack broad representation and diversity while there also is excessive demand placed on senior leaders with lived experience of racism, we remain committed to continuously expanding the representation of our Hosts and encourage you to check back regularly for updates.
Have more questions about CivicMatch?
We have answers.
About our CivicMatch Hosts
CivicMatch Hosts are established leaders from across CivicAction’s stakeholder network who represent a wide range of sectors, backgrounds and interests but share a commitment to building inclusive cities and contributing to addressing issues of racism.
If you are an established leader interested in participating, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Our Current Hosts
The following established leaders will be hosting discussions in the third round of CivicMatch taking place in August, 2021. Click the host’s photo to read their full biography.
PresidentRogers Sports & Media
PartnerForum Equity Partners
EVP, Regional Banking, Personal and Commercial BankingRBC
Senior Principal, Real EstateIMCO
Chair of CivicAction and Executive Advisor, Future of Work at Deloitte
President, Environics Analytics + Academic Advisory CouncilTed Rogers School of Management
MD & Head of Real EstateFengate Asset Management
Chair of BoardPayments Canada
National Managing Partner, Business UnitsPwC
President & CEOMetrolinx
President & CEOHistorica Canada
EVPWittington Investments Ltd.
Meet Our Community of Hosts
The following established leaders have hosted CivicMatch discussions in previous rounds and may host again in the future. Check back with our “Current Hosts” section each round to see who is currently hosting discussions.
Chief Executive OfficerCivicAction
Chief Executive OfficerTRIEC
Artistic Director and Co-HeadToronto International Film Festival
Former Group President and CEOTD Bank Group
PresidentRGC & Associates Inc
President and CEOFullG Capital
Managing Director and Senior Partner, BCG, TorontoBoard Member - CivicAction
President and CEOToronto Region Board of Trade
President & CEOGreater Toronto Airports Authority
CivicAction Board of Directors, Chief Strategy and Operations OfficerBMO Financial Group
2011-2013 ELN Co-Chair; CEOBorrowell
President & CEOHolland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Past-President and CEO, TD Ameritrade; CivicAction Board MemberBoard Chair, CivicAction Leadership Foundation
DeanIvey Business School
Board ChairHydro One
ChairpersonUnity Health Toronto
Former CEOToronto Artscape Inc.
Chair and CEO, Canada & Latin AmericaEdelman
VP DevelopmentConcord Adex Inc.
Former President and Vice ChancellorRyerson University
President & CEOMaple Leaf Foods
Retired CAORegion of Waterloo
President and CEO, Rogers Communications Inc.Board Member, CivicAction Leadership Foundation
CEOCanadian Urban Institute
Chief Executive OfficerYWCA Canada
Founder & Managing PartnerMaverix Private Equity
Managing Partner, Ontario Region, McCarthy Tétrault LLPBoard Member - CivicAction Leadership Foundation
Principal, University of Toronto Scarborough and Vice-PresidentUniversity of Toronto
General ManagerPlanning and Economic Development Department, City of Hamilton
Canada CEODentons Canada LLP