At our annual MetroNext celebration, the CivicAction Leadership Foundation aims to recognize leaders who inspire, create space for all voices and represent the best our region has to offer with our Emerging Leader Award and Lifetime Achievement Award.
This year, we asked you to help us tell the story of those who inspire you. Thank you for helping us recognize someone who has a great impact on our region by nominating them for one of our CivicAction leadership awards.
Nominations for our CivicAction Leadership Awards are now closed. If you have any questions or concerns, please click here to let us know. Otherwise, stay tuned over the next month as we review all of the nominations and announce the award recipients in March.
Emerging Leader Award
What is an emerging leader? Someone who dreams in impact, walks their talk, and inspires as they go. Someone who spends their days improving their community in whatever capacity they can and motivates you with their commitment to creating a better future. Description remind you of anyone? They fit the bill for our Emerging Leader Award!
The Emerging Leader Award is always presented to someone whose exceptional commitment to improving their community has made a positive impact in their community and across our region.
Past recipients have been:
- Andrew Graham, co-founder of Toronto Homecoming and Borrowell
- Salima Rawji, Director of Development at Build Toronto, CivicAction Board Member, former Co-Chair of the ELN and former CivicAction DiverseCity Fellow
- Hibaq Gelle, a committed community and youth advocate, and Community Development Worker at the Community Action Resource Centre
Lifetime Achievement Award
Who is a leader in our region that you look up to every day? Who is someone with a longstanding record of impact in your community? These questions bring anyone to mind? Then they’re the right fit for the CivicAction Lifetime Achievement Award.
The CivicAction Lifetime Achievement Award has always been given to someone with a long standing record of impactful leadership, who has made a positive impact on the GTHA, and who shows a real commitment to developing the next generation of city builders and building inclusive cities.
Past recipients of this award are:
- David Crombie, Mayor of Toronto and long-time CivicAction board member
- Senator the Hon. Ratna Omidvar who has also been honoured with the Order of Ontario and the Order of Canada.
- Joseph Wong, Chairman, Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care